
BWF secretary general Thomas Lund has asked players to support the current calendar for the India Open, scheduled to be held in New Delhi in February next year despite pollution concerns. Lund…
BWF secretary general Thomas Lund has asked players to support the current calendar for the India Open, scheduled to be held in New Delhi in February next year despite pollution concerns. Lund acknowledged logistical challenges in moving the Super 750 tournament out of the first quarter due to domestic scheduling factors, but said conditions have improved compared to earlier this year.

Lund also confirmed that the new 15-point scoring format will replace the current 21-point system from January 4, 2027. He said the change aims to reduce the physical load on players and safeguard their health, noting that match durations have increased over the years. He added that statistical simulations suggest the same champions will win under the new format, but with a slight twist towards more close matches.
The BWF has also started the wider tour season slightly later into January to give players a longer break. Lund said the federation hopes for players' understanding and continued support as not everything can be reset at once.
The India Open is a Super 750 event, one of the top-tier tournaments on the BWF calendar, carrying significant ranking points and prize money. New Delhi's air quality index in February typically ranges from 'poor' to 'severe', with PM2.5 levels often exceeding 200 micrograms per cubic metre, far above the WHO safe limit. The BWF has no power to force a venue change unless the host association agrees, the Badminton Association of India (BAI) benefits from holding the event in the capital due to sponsorship and government support. The new 15-point format, with five-point games and no service advantage, will be tested at lower-tier events from 2025 before the global rollout in 2027. The key number to watch is the Delhi government's pollution data for January and February 2025: if readings cross 300 AQI during the tournament, player boycotts remain a real risk.
Source: timesofindia.indiatimes.com
This story was synthesised by AI from the source linked above.