
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai has announced financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each for the families of four workers from the state who died in a tunnel accident in Uttarakhand…
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai has announced financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each for the families of four workers from the state who died in a tunnel accident in Uttarakhand last week. He also directed officials to provide Rs 50,000 each to two workers from Chhattisgarh who were injured in the accident.

On August 13, water and debris entered an under-construction three-kilometre tunnel at a Tehri Hydro Development Corporation Limited project site in Chamoli district following a landslide, trapping 22 workers. Officials said the accident left 11 workers dead and 11 injured.
Four of the deceased were from Kondagaon district in Chhattisgarh: two from Dhansuli village, one from Madnar, and one from Dahikonga. Sai said the mortal remains had been brought to Kondagaon, where last rites were performed in the presence of the families.
The Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia per family is standard state government compensation for such accidents, but it falls far short of what families of deceased construction workers often need to replace lost income over years. Under the Building and Other Construction Workers Act, employers and project authorities are legally liable for additional compensation, which can run into lakhs per worker. The Tehri Hydro Development Corporation, as the project owner, faces scrutiny over safety protocols that failed to prevent water ingress after a landslide. The Uttarakhand government has not yet announced its own compensation package for the other seven deceased workers from different states. The next concrete step will be the state's accident investigation report, which may determine if criminal negligence or regulatory violations contributed to the disaster.
Source: newindianexpress.com
This story was synthesised by AI from the source linked above.